Online Consumption Index: Current Trends Nimdzi Finger Food
The Nimdzi online consumption index (OCI) ranks countries and languages by percentage of online spending. It tells us how much is being spent online and by whom.
It is calculated based on available data around output (GDP, household consumption expenditure), online infrastructure (prevalence of secure servers), online adoption (internet subscribers), and demographics of each market.
The OCI can be used for a number of purposes, such as:
- Measuring market penetration
- Building a strong internal case for localization
- Providing context for setting up international distribution
Let’s take a look at past evolution and current trends for the top 10 countries ranked by their OCI.
Forecast of top 10 countries by their OCI
- The United States will continue to increase online consumption at a rate equal to the rest of the world, meaning that the United States’ OCI will remain flat.
- Japan’s OCI will decrease, as they have already reached a high online maturity and less mature countries with larger populations will begin closing the gap before ultimately overtaking Japan.
- China is projected to continue to aggressively close the gap with the United States. Given China’s large population and relatively low online maturity, it is possible that they will overtake the United States in the next decade.
The full report is exclusive for Nimdzi Partners.
For access to the full report, please login using your Nimdzi Partners Account. Don’t have a subscription? We’ll help you fix that. Please get in touch with us to find out how you can get access to the entire library of Nimdzi Insight Reports.
The Nimdzi finger food is the bite-sized insight you need to fuel your decision-making today.
Stay up to date as Nimdzi publishes new insights. We will keep you posted as each new report is published so that you are sure not to miss anything.